Saturday, September 24, 2005

I Made It!

Unfortunately, I don't have much time, but here's a rundown. I've arrived in Tanzania and am in a town called Morogoro, where I will do my training. It is a beautiful town in the mountains and so far it's been great. We began our training in Swahili today and in two more months I should be pretty close to fluent. There are 36 other volunteers in the group and we are all going to be teachers. It's a great group of people so I think I'll have a blast during training before I go off on my own. More soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news. Thanks for the update. Letters are on the way -- if they can be re-routed to Morogoro, that is.

All's well here. Post again soon.

Love, Mom and Dad-

Anonymous said...

Andrew: Glad you arrived safe and sound. I know you will quickly master Swahili. If you wouldn't mind, can you tell me how to say "Go Heels" in that language?

Best wishes to you always,
Mr. P.

Anonymous said...

Or better yet, how about "Duke sucks"?

Or perhaps, "The dog is ready for bathing; where is the grape juice?"

I must know!

Evan

Dalen said...

congrats man. i also am bogged down in training. learned to use a chainsaw today. learning disaster releif tommorrow. probably end up in N.O. in about 3 weeks..once i finish fire fighting training.

best wishes man...maybe i'll show up in a year.

--DAlen

Anonymous said...

Have you in my thoughts every day - we are all anxious to hear more from you. Gran

Anonymous said...

Yo, Andrew:

Hope your training is going well. I, too, would like to know how to say 'Duke sucks' in Swahili.

Your High Point friends and family are thinking of you.

-Mr. P.

Andrew said...

Thanks everyone. I'll get back to you on the Swahili. Evan, the problem is I haven't seen a grape since I've been here, so I don't know the Swahili word for it. I've also unfortunately forgotten the word for "dog." It's coming, only "polepole." That's Swahili for slowly.