Monday, February 06, 2006

School Daze

So I've started teaching and it hasn't exactly been easy. Teaching is something I'm completely new at, and the language and culture barriers I must overcome are often difficult. Also, with recent health scares from two of my grandparents, I've felt guilty about being away from my family during tough times. I've also been profoundly disturbed with the practice of hitting the students with wooden sticks for pretty much every misbehavior, however minor. At one point I was watching a student getting hit and I wondered how I could possibly stomach that for two years. I still don't know. However, having said all that, teaching is getting easier, however slowly, and the students seem extremely grateful that I show up for class--get this--on time. I found out the day school opened I'd be teaching Form II as well as Form III. The Form III classes are great and there are only about 25 students each, but each of the Form II classes has around 60. That makes things extremely difficult and means I can give almost no individual attention. Of course, I expected difficulties like this when I came, so I'm sure I'll manage. As often as I wish I were at home close to family and somewhere I can walk down the street without sticking out like a sore thumb, I feel like I'm doing the right thing and that I will get more and more out of this experience as time goes on. Time, as always, will tell.

One of the more interesting, and I admit quite nice, things recently is that I've become somewhat of a celebrity at Nganza Secondary School, and all-girls boarding school about 1 km from my all-boys boarding school. There is another PCV there, Ryan, so I go down and visit now and then. Ryan tells me that many of the girls were quite taken with me (don't worry, he teaches Form VI, so his students are 20-22). One told Ryan she'd even be willing to marry me if I shave my beard. I must say, it's nice to be a celebrity among those girls in their early 20s. Since they are also graduating in a few weeks, I suppose any relationship can be completely guilt-free, right? With the Nganza girls and a university across the street, opportunities abound.

In other news, the continuing East African drought is fortunately not causing water shortages for those of us lucky enough to be less than a mile from Lake Victoria. However, low water levels are causing problems for hydroelectric dams and there is now power rationing all over the country. I know many PCVs don't have power at all, but it's still nice to have the lights on at night. Hopefully rain will come and we'll be able to have power all the time. It's particularly annoying because I've just gotten my conflict with the power company resolved. They had cut me off because the PCV there before me hadn't paid his last two bills. We'll see how this goes. In reality I'm lucky because as you may have heard the drought is causing famine in NW Kenya. While food prices are rising here, there certainly isn't a shortage. Next month the long rainy season should start, so we'll hope it does better than the short rainy season and actually show up. If it doesn't, the lake may drop low enough that I will no longer have running water. This would be much more annoying than the power problem.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and keep them coming. The next two months will be busy, but it's only two more months to Easter break! How sad that I already count the days...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, I guess you'll have to beat those Nganza girls off with sticks.

Which is maybe not a bad idea. Don't go breaking any cultural taboos over there.

Dad

Dalen said...

Andrew,

AmeriCorps might be shutting down NCCC thanks to the new Bush Budget. this will be the second time my future job prospects are being hindered by that friggin' guy. If that happens, I will only get to be a Team leader for half a year...maybe i'll join the peacecorps. u gotta couch?

My new name is Leeroy. Call me Leeroy.

Anonymous said...

I have this image of you not heeding your dad's advice and running fast-forward through some tall grass in a figure eight pattern with your pants in your hands, a British constable and others chasing you while the Benny Hill music plays.

Okay, I'm gonna stick with that image I think. That makes me feel happy. Keep up the fine work. Remember you're accomplishing more in one day than some people hope to do in a lifetime. You can shove people around and tell them that when you get back.

JKAbernethy

Anonymous said...

"You can shove people around and tell them that when you get back."

In fact, I already do this for you. If anyone ever questions my work ethic, I tell them, "Andrew is in Africa doing more in one day than you could hope to do in a lifetime." Then I shove 'em. And if they aren't conviced of my superior work ethic, I shove 'em again. So far, this tactic has worked fairly well. I suggest you forgo the waiting till you get back and go ahead and use this whenever you can.

So, 60 students??!!?? I'm hoping these students are relatively well behaved because I have no idea how I'd manage that many kids. That's unsane. What's the curicculum like?

Also, I suggest you shave your beard and go ahead and get married. I mean, no one wants to spend the rainy season alone, right?

Your voice of Reason,

Evan

Anonymous said...

Hi,Andrew!

Still loving your journal entries!
Sorry to hear that reality has
hit you. It most certainly must be
difficult, but I have great confi-
dence in you. Your assignment must
be better than some others. I had
visions of your living in a mud/
grass hut and teaching under a
misshapen tree out in the bush!!

I understand that the "caning" is
really hard to take since it isn't
part of our experience. Perhaps
you can start a reform movement to
replace it with less severe forms
of behavior modification!

Be careful of those "abounding
opportunities" down the road!! En-
joy your "celebrity status"!

Can we send you food (not cheese-
burgers!), reading material(in
English!), money, etc.? Just let
me know!! Any chance of having
photos on your blog?

Take care and know that I'm send-
ing positive vibes your way!

Judith Millar/High Point

Andrew said...

Thanks for the comments. Let me respond, in kind.

Dad: Don't worry about me breaking cultural taboos. In fact, it's almost a cultural taboo to be as old as I am and not be married over here. No worries though, I'm not forgetting my place here.

Dalen "Leeroy" Rice: You know my thoughts on Bush, but karibu Peace Corps (see December 31 entry for translation). You're as qualified as I am and I think you'd have a blast.

JK Abernethy: I'll let you keep your image. As for the other comment, maybe sometimes, but not today. Today I'm just using the internet, having a couple of beers, and watching a soccer game.

Evan: Feel free to shove people on my behalf. Also, I think we both know better than to let you be referred to as a "voice of reason."

Judith: Thanks for your continued interest here. Actually, I'm pretty content. An occasional package of snacks is nice, but I'm pretty solid on reading material because I am keeper of the Lake Victoria region Peace Corps library that. I'm the, I think, fifth volunteer to be in charge of it so quite a few books have accumulated.

Alright, new entry time. Thanks for the comments.