Monday, April 10, 2006

Conference Over, Life Back at Site

The conference is over, so back to normal life. After the conference, the people going back to Bukoba couldn't leave until last night because of the ferry schedule, so they came up to my place Saturday with Meena (from Musoma) and we had a big dinner. They stayed around until last night and then got on the ferry. The whole time was really great and it was nice to see everyone. The only problem was that when I returned home on Saturday I found that even though a student was staying in my house to watch it someone tried to break open my bedroom door (which I had locked) and a few small things were stolen. The whole security thing is becoming really frustrating, so I'm really pressuring my headmaster to improve the security at my house. He's being very responsive. He was not around for the last few weeks so he likely wasn't aware that promised improvements have not yet been done. Hopefully it'll be done soon. I'm certainly not going to leave my house overnight again until I have more secure doors and windows. I think PC will put a lot of pressure on him too so I hope it can be taken care of shortly. I know volunteers who have been temporarily or permanently removed from site because of security concerns, and that's really something I don't want to deal with. People back home shouldn't worry to much. I've never felt physically threatened. I think stuff will be stolen but I think it's extremely unlikely I'll be hurt.

Anyway, other than security things are fine. I think I'm going to enjoy a week to relax. Of course there is also a lot of house work to do and tests to be graded, but it won't be too bad. And after the break it's maybe six weeks until we have the much longer break between semesters. Time actually is going pretty quickly right now. So I'm off for at least one day of utter laziness. Since I have a lot of time this week I may be able to use the internet a little more so I may update this again in a couple of days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pole!

Love, Dad

Dalen said...

Security?!?!?! I'll send you a gun. Old roomy Chris has an AK under his bed...laugh, laugh, chuckle, chuckle...no, he really does. Maybe you need a pet lion. I'll see if I can donate some money to Heiffer International and get them to send you a guard cow.

When are you done? If my TL stuff goes through, I am busy until March, and then maybe work a fire summer and be done in August. We need to go to Southeast Asia and do some travelling there. It always looks really cool in the movies.

Leroi

Andrew said...

A guard cow's a good idea, but goats are cheaper. I finish in early December 2007, but I think after that I'll want to stay in America for at least a few months.