Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Who's the Real Do-Gooder at Nsumba?

The kindness of some of teh people here really touches me sometimes. Take my friend, Kassim, another teacher at my school. For no real reason one day last week he invited Cha, the Korean volunteer at our school, and I to have chips (in the British sense) after school. There are several places by the road where they sell beer and soda and usually there's a guy who pan fries chips and grills beef shishkabobs call mshikaki. A popular thing to do with the chips is to add beaten eggs as he fries them. This comes out as sort of a french fry omlette, which sounds strange but is really good. It's called chipsi mayai--mayai being Swahili for eggs. So Kassim, who makes less money than I do and a lot less than Cha, insisted on paying. This is real normal for him. He often insists on paying for bus fare if we go somewhere and things like that. I've learned it's pointless to argue. I tried to make up for it a little this time by buying our sodas. So they guy made chipsi mayai and mshikaki one serving at a time since he only has one pan, and of course Kassim took his last. Everything up to then was nice enough, but what really touched me was when he saw a little boy walking home from primary school, called him over, and gave him half his food. By then it was 3 in the afternoon and that kid probably hadn't eaten since breakfast at 6. Needless to say, he was quite hungry and extremely grateful. I often think of the things I'm missing at home and lament my, by my old standards, spartan existence. Then there's Kassim, who's working as hard as I am but doesn't have a relatively luxurious life to look forward to after two years. I'm often amazed by how much people with so little can give.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kassim rafiki nzuri. Nimefuraha.

Baba

Andrew said...

Thanks, Amber. You're definately right. People are incredibly willing to give, and the only downside is that sometimes people use that as an excuse not to work and just leach off family members. Overall though, I think it's an amazing thing and is how Tanzanians can make it through such hard times.

Getting better, dad. That made sense, just poor grammar.

Anonymous said...

Samahani!

Baba

Anonymous said...

tanzanian people have lots of heart

Dalen said...

We gutted a house last week for an old single mother, pretty much impoverished before the storm, and now she really has nothing. She kept trying to buy us all chicken. The 11 of us would have eaten a lot of chicken, that she probably really couldnt afford. She so wanted to thank us, despite the fact that she had lost everything, and all we did was move her stuff to the curb to be taken away as garbage. Truly sad. Still, not as bad as Haiti. I always think back to Haiti.

Andrew said...

Dalen,
Yeah, me too. In fact whenever I feel discouraged and that Tanzania is a lost cause, I remember Haiti and how much worse it could be. I always think back to Haiti too. It's amazing how it's even worse than when we were there. When the head of the UN peacekeeping force commits suicide, you know things aren't going too well.

Anonymous said...

Mwanza is great man,I have been in the same region specifically the same school where i did my advanced level secondary certificate.I realy enjoyed the sameas you did.I think the people you have been working with will always tressure the grea moment they had with you.Karibu Tanzania.Im now in Tumaini University-Iringa Tanzania,Taking my B.A in Cultural anthropology and tourism.Thans for serving tanzania.Jahmansage@yahoo.com