Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Day in Wazunguland

My good buddy and fellow lake volunteer Rob posted some great Mulletfest pictures here. Also check out his blog for an exciting account of our ridiculous bus ride.

I came to Arusha today, heart of tourism in Tanzania, hoping to get a bus back to Mwanza but I couldn't get a ticket until today. I'm leaving around 2 pm and will again be travelling overnight through Kenya. I am not exactly what you'd call excited. Arusha has been an interesting experience. It's a little smaller than Mwanza, but much more chaotic. There are also tons of people trying to hawk overpriced souveniers to every white person (or "mzungu," the plural is "wazungu") they see. They are actually pretty shocked when I come back to them in Swahili. They're pretty much used to tourists who don't know a word of it. In Mwanza most of the foreigners you see are people who live there so it isn't surprising to the Tanzanians if you speak a little. Now being a big tourist center has its advantages. There are nice coffee houses and an actual Western-style supermarket. The supermarket completely blew my mind. I just wandered the aisles in a daze for awhile. It's amazing how quickly ordinary things become strange once you leave them. I guess in my mind certain things belong in America and certain things in Tanzania. Here the supermarket blows my mind, but I guess the site of a Maasai warrior walking down the street in traditional dress would shock me at home even though I see it about every day here.

Alright, I'm off to grab lunch before the bus ride. Maybe by this time tomorrow I'll be off the bus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tutaonana jumatatu!

Baba

Andrew said...

Mungu akipenda. I must admit the Swahili's improving quite a bit.

Anonymous said...

hey i showed Pop your picture and he said "who is that" when I told him he laughed and shook his head. hope you and your fater and ken had a good time. I am dog sitting your dog this week. I swear she does not know how to be a dog. I give her a milk bone and she drops it on the floor and just looks at it like it is some strange object. her and my dogs get along okay. she likes to stay inside alot though. not use to all the freedom I guess. I am tring to find a job for the fall I am being picky about it though It has to be they type of specail education I want. I am not willing to settle not after being misrable for two months at Rosman. Life's too short to hate your job. well talk to you later.

Love,

Erika

Yes it looks like you are Half dead now but look on the bright side I am more dead then you are and I always will be

Anonymous said...

Andrew-

Sorry about your dad. Glad to hear that he's all right now.
Please tell him I'm thinking of
him and hoping that they have a
good trip home.

Hope you're enjoying your school
break with family and fellow PCVs.
I think of you very often and al-
ways wish you well.
Best of luck -
Judith Millar