Saturday, March 24, 2007




Hello all. Finally a few pictures. The first picture is my house. I really like it, though I must admit it's pretty big for just one person. As you can see it's a nice, solid structure. Those Catholic missions like to build stuff out of stone, which is pretty cool. To the right of the house you can make out a big concrete tank which holds my water supply and that for the other houses around. It catches rainwater from the roof of the big house in the background as well as getting fed from a spring on top of the mountain. The brick part of the house is the walled in courtyard, which is really big and probably my favorite feature of the house. It's a good place to sit outside while cooking or looking at the stars or something. Also great for parties.

The other picture is of the valley I live in. My house is to the left of the tree with the purple flowers. This picture was taken during the dry season so there's nothing in the fields there except for some banana trees. During the rains there's a lot of corn, tomatoes, cabbage, and a bunch of other things going there. The picture is taken along the road that goes to the school so every day I walk across that valley. It's quite a nice commute.

The last few weeks have been pretty good. St. Patrick's Day was every bit as much fun as that holiday should be. We even avoided a fight to the death between the volunteer with Irish Catholic roots (Clare, named for the county in Ireland) and the one with Irish Protestant roots (me). Guinness truly heals all wounds. The week at school has been ok, except my kids have gotten a little lazy and bombed a test I gave them. I'm going to have to push them to get their act together. The national exams are are a really big deal here and they're a long way from ready. Who would have thought that 14-year-old girls would be short-sighted?

I had a dinner at a neighbors place last night with a bunch of the teachers. It was to celebrate the one month anniversary of the birth of their latest daughter, which is traditional to do. It was a nice time, but the best part was how the new baby's older sister, Sharon, who's three, finally overcame here fear of the scary bearded white guy. All it took was having a little neighbor boy come by who was obviously terrified of me. Sharon decided to show him how afraid she wasn't by coming up and climbing on my lap. I think after that she realized I wasn't so bad, despite white skin and a hairy face. So there you go, a little understanding spread by the Peace Corps, with quite a bit of help from some desire to show off.

The only other thing that's been going on has been heavy pressure from my headmistress, my students, and other teachers to apply for a one year extension. I was surprised to find that a big part of me really wanted to stay an extra year, but I decided not to, so I'll be back at the end of November as planned.

That's all for now. Have a good Easter everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally sending photos ( I know you have had computer problems). We can now see where you live, and it is much nicer than I thought.

Glad you decided not to stay another year! Kenny may be president of his company when you get home and can support you in grand style!

Love,
Gran

Anonymous said...

Forget it. Kenny has to support his Mama and me first.

Love, Baba

Dalen said...

Hey andrew, i was cleaning out my closet and i found the old haitian rum bottles. remember that time we went to haiti and i got some rum at the gas station and you told steve, but i didnt know so i thought he was somehow psychic for knowing? fun times. i drank a little guiness last weekend. it reminded me of you. cant wait until november. want to to hike some of the AT with me next spring?

Anonymous said...

Your house is awesome especially compared to many homes I saw while we were there. I enjoy reading your blog.
Dana Hill

Anonymous said...

Hey andy!

I am getting married on april 9th! His name is chris (yeah I know) but get this YOUR MOM LIKES HIM! (amazing huh?) anyway I can't wait til you come home I really miss you!!

I love you andy,

Erika

Unknown said...

Hello friend,

Just wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday! You are sorely missed here.

I myself am also teaching math at the moment. Well, tutoring math at a middle school, but really it serves the same purpose. I actually dig it, which is surprising even to myself.

Your house and surrounding land seem lovely. I'm sure one could take some pretty excellent walks in that area.

Dalen said...

I just had a genius idea! you should sell part of your land and use the wealth to buy some wives! Do they sell wives over there? get me one to. how does that work? do they have windows you can window shop with? Wait, on second thought, you should get a pet cow. cows are great pets. they are like giant dogs, but require less work, and u can ride them...sorta.

Anonymous said...

Just a note to let you know that I have been keeping up with your blog with a keen interest. I take a small amount of pride in thinking I might have helped influence your decision to go to Africa. At the risk of sounding condescending... I am very proud of you.

I have taken on a new job working in marine biology research at the north end of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. My training starts next week. When you have the bandwidth and time, check out my msn space.

Your cousin from the Great White North,

David
dmtumbleweed@hotmail.com

Andrew said...

Thanks for all the comments. Dalen, you actually can buy wives here, in fact you always have to pay a bride price, and you can have as many wives as you want. Some tribes do look down on having multiple wives, but some are fine. However, since I own neither the house nor the land it's on, your plan is flawed. Actually, you can't own land here, it's all owned by the government and you can lease it from them. It gets a little ridiculous.

Evan, tutoring math? Wow. Keeep it up man. There is great walking around here, but sometimes I wish I didn't have to do so much of it.


David, good to hear from you. I'll check out your msn space. Good luck with your new job.

To everyone else, I should be able to post in the next couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Andrew update:

He was unable to post a new entry. He's back at school, having had a very good week in Dar. One of the highlights was discovering a new Irish pub in the city. Although not run by actual Irishmen, it does offer an authentic drink selection including three Bushmill single malts (too costly for Andrew, unfortunately, so he had to settle for "regular" Bushmill, meaning a blend, I think).

Closer to home, there's a hotel in Lushoto run by a Greek that picks up the television network carrying Formula One races. Andrew believes he may be able to watch European races on Sunday afternoons and still have time to catch the last dala dala heading home.

Sounds to me like the encroachment of Western civilization knows no bounds.

Doug Clark