Monday, December 05, 2005

Zanzibar

So it's my last night in Zanzibar. I've had a blast hear. We spent two nights on the northwestern coast of the island on possibly the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Even though there are four hotels right in a row, the beaches are very far from crowded. Each hotel also has a restaurant and bar along the beach so there were a few places to choose from. Today we came down to Stone Town, which is a very old town with incredibly narrow streets that wind around like a maze. We spent much of the day wandering through them aimlessly never really knowing where we were. Tonight we ate dinner along the harbor where you can pick out some fresh fish that will then be grilled for you. It was pretty nice.

Zanzibar is an interesting place because of the mixture of African and Arab culture. It's also the most touristy place I've seen so far in Tanzania, so the locals are pleasantly surprised when you speak Kiswahili to them. I'm feeling a lot better about my language skills because as long as I try not to be too deep, I have very few problems communicating with people. I feel confident that I will continue to improve even though the formal lessons are over.

Tomorrow we go back to Dar where we will be until we leave for our site on Thursday. It will take maybe 2-4 days to get to Mwanza. I've been having a great vacation but I'm ready to get to site. I will probably have an opportunity to post again before I leave.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to let you know how very much I'm enjoying your blog. I, too, was wondering if you were affected by the earthquake and was glad to see that you were not. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Lisa Cooper
First Pres - High Point

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I'm glad you had a good time in Zanzibar.

Who are the tourists there? Europeans? Arabs? Indians? Africans?

We're looking forward to hearing about your trip to Mwanza.

Love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew,
I didn't know you were going to Zanzibar. It sounds beautiful and exotic. It must have felt good to be a tourist, but also know the native language.
It was good to talk with you last week. I can't wait to hear about your new home! Safe travels.
Love, Aunt Pam

Anonymous said...

It sounds really great there. I wanted to tell you that I got a job offer!! for Rosman middle school teaching english (regular education teacher) I graduate this Saturday!! I hope to hear from you soon

Love,

Erika

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I just got word, via Gran (noon Friday EST), that you've arrived at your site in Mwanza. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Love,

Dad

Andrew said...

Zanzibar was great. Most of the tourists were European, in fact so many Italians go there than many of the people there speak Italian. In Mwanza now, look for a new update.