Saturday, January 07, 2006

New Year in Tanzania

So it's a new year and I'm going to start a new job in a country that is still sometimes quite strange to me. If things go as planned, 2006 will also be the first year of my life that I've spent entirely outside of the United States. I start teaching in two weeks, so it's really time for me to get serious on the preparations. I feel like I'm ready for the job, but we'll see. I am definately ready to start teaching, because at the moment it is a fairly lonely time since I have way too much downtime and I'm not quite at the point where I feel like I fit in my community. Fortunately it does continue to get a little easier and I'm sure once I'm working things will be easier.

As for the ACFGK, I forgot an important Kiswahili word that translates perfectly into a Southernism. The word niliweza can be translated as "I used to could." Have a good new year and enjoy the cold. I hardly remember what that's like...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great talking to you this morning. I appreciate that, when I told you it was 25 degrees here, you replied that it was 25 there, too.

I know my celsius conversions .. that's 77 F.

Love,

Dad

Dalen said...

What is the going rate for spears? I will be burning the forests of GA soon, and you never know when some wild boar might come charging out of nowhere...figure a spear might be good to help me get some good meat amongst all these crazy vegetarian hippies.

Habari Za Fire,

--Dalen

Andrew said...

Actually, I don't know, Dalen. I'm sure there'd be a lot of haggling involved. Of course, I know before I leave I'll cave and get one. Maybe I can use it to snag one of the random chickens that meanders into my yard.

Anonymous said...

It is not so cold right now! It is about 68 degrees.
Good luck with your teaching. Plan lots of material since you never know what you will need at first. Mostly, love what you are teaching, and people will wonder what the excitement is all about.
I like you new word of niliweza.
Connie Rothwell

Anonymous said...

Drew,

Totally by accident I stumbled upon this site, which you may find interesting. It's some hipster magazine that devoted a whole issue to the Blackfeet Indians and their reservation. There's lots of interesting stuff on there.

Hope all is well.

Evan

Jo said...

Hi Andrew, we spent time travelling in the Usambara mountains, and were very interested to read your comments about the Kongei Girls secondary school. Can you give us some more info on the school? We are interested in ways to help such a school in the Lushoto area. Many thanks. Jo (from Basel, CH)