Friday, August 04, 2006

Life at Kongei

I found out my school has a computer. There’s no internet, but at least I can type things for this blog ahead of time. Since half of my internet time was usually just typing, this makes things much easier for me. I can either pay for half as much time, or spend more time feeding my insatiable appetite for news. All in all, this works out very well for me. The only weird thing will be that I’ll often post these entries days or even a week or two after writing them, so I’ll try to keep the dates straight.

The week of July 17 was a really good one. I’m really getting the hang of the school and how things work here. I already feel at ease in the class as I did at Nsumba. I also like the teachers here a lot, and it’s nice that I have my own desk in the staff room. I didn’t have a desk at Nsumba, so it was harder to get any work done at school, so I usually took it home with me. Here I can get everything done at school so I’m always really done when I go home for the day. I think that’s a luxury many teachers in America don’t have. The highlight of the week though was my old buddy Wes came through.

Now by “old buddy” I mean from training. My dad and my brother, who visited recently, are the only people I’ve seen since I came to Tanzania who I knew before, well, I came to Tanzania (or, actually two days before when we had staging in DC). So, since we were in the same four-person group in training, he’s as old as my Tz buddies get. Anyway, his girlfriend’s visiting from America and they’ve been doing a wee bit of traveling and they decided to come through our area. My new place isn’t so far out of the way and Josh, who was also in our four-man group, is around here as well. Wes and Christina, his girlfriend, came here on the 17th and stayed for the night, making them my first visitors. It was a real good time catching up. Tuesday they left, but they came back Friday and we went into town to Ness’s house (the volunteer in the area with a house in town, so a frequent gathering place) where we met Josh and Jen. Wes and Christina could only stay one night, but the rest of us stayed for the weekend. I had a great time. Yet again I think it’s nice to have so many other volunteers around and be in a region where people from other regions, like Wes, can visit without too much hassle. I love my site, but there’s not too much there. There’s the school, but that’s it. Even the nearest village is 5 km away, so it’s nice to get out and be in the bustle of town and see some friends. Plus, I need to go to town anyway for banking, internet, and buying food, so it’s great that when I go to town there’ll usually be some friends there.

The area where I live, as I’ve said, is pretty remote, so at the moment I’m still very much a curiosity. On walking back from the road not too long ago, a couple kids shouted, “MZUNGU!” and began to walk after me out of curiosity. Gradually more children joined the group until I was walking down the road with a pack of about 20 kids right behind me. It was somehow both cute and a little disconcerting. They stayed with me until the one daladala that goes to the village 5 km past my house came by and I hopped on for the last 2 km back to my house. It is a nice, though long, walk to my house from the road. The other times I’ve made the trip I’ve gone by bike taxi. The first time I tried that, I was scared out of my mind, but now I enjoy it quite a lot. At 1000/= (about $.85) I’m pretty sure I’m getting overcharged, despite haggling a little bit. Of course, just knowing Swahili immediately got the price down from 2000/=, so I guess 1000/= isn’t so bad. By the way, the /= is the symbol for a shilling, the currency here.

So, like I said, things are going really well. Sometimes it’s slow and there’s not a whole lot to do at night in the dark, but things are really good. I miss Mwanza and the lake a lot and a lot of the people back there, but the moves going as well as I hoped. Luckily, yet again I’m in a place where it never gets as hot and humid as I’m sure it is in NC right now. It’s still pretty cold here and should be until September. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A thousand for a bike taxi ride? That does sound high. What's the dala dala fare there?

It's been hot here -- mid to upper 90s -- but should cool down soon. Enjoy your mountain air.

How's the night sky, by the way? As spectacular as up on the crater?

Talk to you soon.

Baba

Dalen said...

Yeah, its pretty damn hot here in FL, but I think part of that might be my fault for standing near fires...fires which I seem to again be at fault for by lighting myself. At least the pay is good and the work helps the fire dependant ecosystems.

my new currency symbol is going to be the *@#.

--DAlen
this Ness guy, whats his first name?

Anonymous said...

well news from my end I have moved to Graham. And I am single. yes you heard right. school starts the 25th and I really like my apartment. it is really like a condo. I hope things are going go od for you when I start school I will talk to the other teacher about what we want to do with your and our kids. Mom and Anna say hey!!

see ya,

Erika

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are pleased
with your new post! I only can
imagine how different it must be
from your life experience! I think about you and how proud we
at the church are of you. What an
opportunity you have to really
make a positive difference in a lot of young lives! It must be
much better for you having friends nearby and I hope that they are having good experiences also.
Keep the journal entries coming -
I thoroughly enjoy them!
Judith Millar

Andrew said...

Thanks for the comments. First off, there is no dala, dad, otherwise I wouldn't use the bike. Dalen, Ness is a girl. Short for Vanessa. Erika, good luck at the new school. Judith, thanks. I appreciate all the support and prayers from the church. Ok, new post time.