Saturday, August 26, 2006

The picture is taken from Mbelei Secondary, the school in the foreground. This is where Isaac, another PCV teaches. I went up to visit him last weekend. He lives on top of a mountain while I'm on the floor of the valley. If you look directly above the building in the middle of the picture, at the back of the dirt area, you can just make out a rooftop in the valley below. That's Kongei, my school. Interestingly enough, despite what is obviously not that far, it took me over three hours to get from my site to his. That's how transport goes in the mountains.

I didn't get to write in advance this time, so not much to write. Tonight it's movie night because fellow PCV Becky was recently in America for her sister's wedding and brought back some movies. Exciting stuff.

School's still going well. The students are working, but it was a week of difficult material so sometimes it felt like I was beating my head against the wall trying to get them to understand. That's going to happen sometimes, no matter how good the school. I can't let myself get too spoiled at Kongei. It seems that now I'm experiencing Peace Corps Lite not because of the urban setting, but the quality of my school. As Bob Dylan said, "I can't help it if I'm lucky."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture. Are you ever going to post any safari photos?

Can you get excited about seeing "Fight Club" for the 50th time?

Baba

Anonymous said...

such serene beauty....Usambara Mountains are awesome

Anonymous said...

Andrew - speaking of movies, have you heard about Samuel L Jackson's new movie, Snakes on a Plane? The title is also an accurate description of the movie. I know what you're thinking - "Is there any way that this isn't the most incredible movie ever?" The answer is no.

I head to Italy on Saturday. I'll send a detailed email of my trip when I get back. Glad things are going well.

Kaka

Anonymous said...

K,

Find out how much dala dala rides cost in Italy.

Baba

Anonymous said...

Also, K, how long does it take to get from Rome to Florence by bus? Can you carry a panga aboard?

Safari salama.

Baba

Andrew said...

Yeah, I heard about Snakes on a Plane, but haven't yet made the seven-hour trip to the nearest cinema to see it. Oh, and I watched Fight Club last night, and it was as amazing as ever. I still haven't absorbed it all.

I'm going to try a new post today, but may be tricky. Slow.